- be tightly written with compact sentences that follow a logical order
- be no more than 6 sentences
- lead with a sentence that introduces the information contained in the paragraph, meaning readers can skim through the information
- draw the reader on by making one paragraph lead naturally into the next
- be able to make complete sense on its own
- cover one subject
If a large chunk of text contains paragraphs on different topics, subdivide the chunk into different sections to make it easier to read.