What colours are associated with
Certain colours have different meaning associated with them, which will vary dependent on context.
- red: caution, anger, love, negative (in finance), hot
- orange: warm, autumn
- yellow: happy, fun, young
- green: nature, calm, good luck
- blue: stability, professional, cold, trust, intelligence
- purple: wealth, mystical, decadent
- brown: rustic, practical, warm, vintage
- white: sterile, innocence, peace, truth, cleanliness
- black: sophistication, death, night, contemporary
- multicolour: international, all inclusive, multicultural
Where appropriate use colours that are naturally associated with the categories they are representing.
Example of pie chart using colours associated with the categories they represent
Example of pie chart using colours not associated with the categories they represent
However, you need to be aware of colour association with potentially sensitive topics, for example, political parties. The use of a particular colour can change the context of what you are presenting.