A summary should:
- be under 160 characters including spaces
- use plain English to explain what the release is about
- be a unique description specific to the release
- not repeat the title
- begin with the most important words, so search engines can find the document – not “This release provides…”
- include statistical designations such as Experimental Statistics
- include the geography and the time period that the data cover
- be sentence case and end in a full stop
Remember: the release title and summary should help users to understand immediately if the content is what they are looking for when it appears in search engine results or on the release calendar.
Most popular first names for baby boys and girls in 2020 using birth registration data.
Estimates of employment, unemployment, economic inactivity and other employment-related statistics for the UK.
View more detailed guidance on writing effective summaries.