What is a data-only release?
A data-only release is a dataset page that contains a downloadable spreadsheet or a customisable dataset. See the following examples:
- Population of the UK by country of birth and nationality: individual country data (dataset page)
- Annual GDP for England, Wales and the English regions (customisable dataset)
If you publish a bulletin or headline release and are thinking about making it data only, you should consider:
- whether users rely on the supporting content in a bulletin or headline release, and how they will be affected if that ends
- the implications of users using the data without easy access to caveats, strengths and limitations
- whether you might need to regularly include information or analysis that helps users understand the data