It’s important to present information clearly for users.
Aim for the following statistics:
- an average sentence length of 12 words
- Flesch-Kincaid reading ease score of 60 and over
The Flesch-Kincaid score tells you how easily understandable text is to read. If the score is high, the sentence is more readable. To find this in Microsoft Word, follow these instructions:
- click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click ‘Word Options’
- click ‘Proofing’
- make sure ‘Check grammar with spelling’ is selected.
- under ‘When correcting grammar in Word’, select the ‘Show readability statistics’ check box
Hemingway Editor is another tool that will assess the readability grade of your content and suggest ways to improve your score.
Do not paste sensitive information or unpublished data into Hemingway – it is a security risk. Use the Flesch-Kincaid reading level tool in Microsoft instead.