- Use a simple table structure with clear headings and subheadings.
- Avoid splitting or merging cells.
- Avoid using colour to convey information: where you have to use colour, make sure the contrast meets WCAG AA standard.
- Use the built-in accessibility checker in Excel to identify and fix any accessibility issues.
- If publishing tables in PDF format or HTML, make sure a downloadable XLS version of the data is available and clearly signposted.
The Government Statistical Service (GSS) provides detailed guidance on releasing statistics in spreadsheets.
We are constantly improving based on research and best practice. Any significant changes to our guidance are available on the Updates page.